This is what I will be submitting on Weds!
The full set of plans is done. Many, many thanks to my contractor for working through all the details with me in a big 90% design review meeting today. We accomplished a lot and he thinks we're ready to submit on Weds.
Let's do the math, shall we?
First saw the lot: 7/3/10 (22 days ago)
Offer accepted: 7/14/10 (11 days ago)
Plans will be submitted for the architectural review: 7/28/10 (25 days from first seeing the property)
Paul hopes to break ground by October 1.....
If he meets his 4 month construction schedule I could be in by Danny's birthday (2/4/11)!
See them here.
Posted by Laura McHugh at 11:27 PM
In my corporate job, we do new design in a process called 30-60-90. Each stage (30%) represents a design milestone - 30% is overall concept, 60% is major design details, 90% is nearly done.
For my lil' home project here is the 80% design set of plans. I'll meet with the contractor tomorrow to get to 95%. Then submit to the City to iron out any 95-100% wrinkles. Whoo hooo!
Posted by Laura McHugh at 9:30 AM
Many thanks to everyone who had great suggestions about the colors, layouts, etc. Most people who've seen the design like the functionality I've designed in. And they had good input about bathrooms (yes - you need a powder room for company), colors (try darker cedar shingle-look) and the roof pitch (single pitch on the one side is great, but do something to tie that side of the house into the flex room on the west).
So, here is the product of all that input. The surveyor does his magic this week so I'll have elevations, etc. and then I can finish the plans for submittal to the City. Yikes. This is moving right along!
Posted by Laura McHugh at 8:25 PM
I'm officially in escrow on the little plot of land that will become my modest dream home. I've done the room layouts and conceptual plans. Now waiting for the official land surveyor information so I can finalize the layout.
Today, I did the drawing set sheets with big white open spaces for the details as they get completed. This is such a fun project. I decided to do the plans myself because then if there are changes I can quickly make them myself rather than running down to the drafting person who does them manually. He's in Palo Alto and I don't want to be beholden to that time frame.
And, it's fun to check up on the building code requirements, do the calculations etc. A good blend of the engineer and artist skills! Seeing the first couple of pages of the drawing set makes it all the more real.
Take a look!
Posted by Laura McHugh at 9:10 PM
Little tiny Rebecca Rounke got married this weekend. She was 1 when I first met her and now she is 26...and I did the invites for one of my daughter's wedding over this weekend. Plus, I designed my new house, mostly, and put in an offer for the lot. Whew. I'm pretty tired.
I paid bills, got my hair done, and took some photos too. Here are a couple of them. I'm pretty wiped out. Good night.
Posted by Laura McHugh at 12:16 AM
I've been creative and making "art" in a different way this past week. Today I did my daughter's wedding invitations. She was so sweet to indulge me in wanting to use glassine envelopes, which you know I'm obsessed with. Each invitation was custom cut and folded after it was printed. Then, I put them each in a glassine envelope and addressed the side with the plain back. She was very happy with them, and so was I.
I also spent every spare moment this week drawing up the concept plans for my new house. It was quite the roller coaster as I worked to understand the City's requirements for setbacks, working out one floorplan after another. Friday morning, I went with the contractor to the City and heard first hand about the code requirements. That helped solidify which orientation of the home on the lot I wanted and by Friday afternoon I was at Lowe's looking at the endless variety of sinks, countertops, cabinets, doors, windows and finish materials. What fun! Tomorrow, I meet again with the contractor to hash out more of the pricing and hopefully get an offer accepted on the lot early this week. Yikes! It's such a fun adventure to design your own living space.
Posted by Laura McHugh at 1:14 AM